Wednesday 11 November 2015

The Rysbrack Statuettes of Rubens, van Dyck and du Quesnoy, Part 9. The Terracotta bust of van Dyck.

 

A Terracotta Bust of Anthony van Dyck
by Michael Rysbrack.


This photograph scanned from Michael Rysbrack by Marjorie Webb, Country Life, 1954.
  


 
 

 
 
Life Size Terracotta Bust of Sir Anthony van Dyck
Perhaps with a bust of Rubens - lot 44 - “Models in Terracotta” Rysbrack sale 26 April 1765.
Signed and dated 1743.
These images courtesy and Copyright: © Courtauld Institute of Art.
 
This bust is at Althorp, Northamptonshire, England. The home of Earl Spencer.
 
I contacted them several times earlier this year asking for photographs or failing that permission to visit and photograph the bust myself but they insist that I either pay them £240 to employ a photographer or they could (possibly) supply me with an (in their words)  not very good quality photograph for £30. Both offers I was able to politely refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment