Sunday, 17 September 2017

Charles II - Busts





Charles II - (1630 - 85).
Attrib. to Edward Pearce (1630 - 95).

Terracotta Bust
70 x 56 x 32 cms
c 1670 - 80)
Royal Collection




Restored in 1938 when the bronze painted finish was removed



____________________________





Charles II
Attrib. John Bushnell
Seaton Delaval Hall.
formerly at Melton Constable
National Trust

__________________






































Charles II
Attrib John Bushnell
Terracotta
78.5 cms
Given to the Fitzwilliam in 1948.
Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge

Photographs taken by the author. 20 August 2015.

This bust was bought in the early 1920's from the owners of the Mill Hill Estate, where it had been since 1877 in the possession of Mr Serjeant Cox, who had purchased it with the furniture, fittings, plate, and other materials of the demolished Serjeant's Inn, Chancery Lane, and re-erected the hall stained glass and all, at his home at Mill Hill. Sir Bruce surmised that the bust may have originally belonged to Francis North, 1st Baron Guildford (1637-1685), Lord Chancellor, who was highly esteemed by Charles II, and who, as Lord Keeper, erected the Chancery Lane Hall of Serjeants Inn, 1669-1677.






Fascinating engraving of the polymath Martin Folkes 
by Jacob Folkema, 1746
Amsterdam
98 x 143 mm.
from Portraits des Hommes Illustres de Dannemark Part 6 

Rijksmuseum




Excerpt above from

Ex bibliotheca Hugh Frederick Hornby. Catalogue of the art library bequeathed by Hugh Frederick Hornby, esq., of Liverpool, to the Free public library of the city of Liverpool


see last paragraph


_______________________________________




Medallion of Martin Folkes by Jaques Dassier 1740.



Images from website of Ben Weiss
all rights reserved.

http://www.historicalartmedals.com/default.htm

____________________


For more on the Dassier Medallion of Martin Folkes 

see - http://bathartandarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/jacques-antoine-dassier-16-medallions.html

___________________________________







Medallion struck in Rome dated 1742
38mm diam with the pyramid of Caius Sestius in Rome


For much more on the portraits of Martin Folkes see my blog entry

http://bathartandarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-twelve-busts-boughtby-dr-matthew.html


________________________










Bust of Charles II
John Dwight 
Fulham Pottery 
Hand modelled
Saly Glazed Stoneware
Height18.2 cms
c. 1673 -75.

Images Victoria and Albert Museum

see - http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O11572/bust-john-dwights-fulham/

_______________________




Another version of the bust of Charles II
 by John Dwight
Fulham Pottery Hand modelled
Salt Glaze Stoneware
19.5 cms approx

Image Victoria and Albert Museum

for further information see my blog entry -

http://english18thcenturyportraitsculpture.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/engravings-of-charles-ii-equstrian-and.html


_______________________________

Charles II
Lead Bust
Ham House




_____________________________________




Statue of Charles II
Grinling Gibbons

 Royal Collection






Charles II
Bronze
Chelsea Hospital

_____________________________



King James II, by Unknown artist, 1685-1688 - NPG 5869 - © National Portrait Gallery, London


James II (1633 - 1701)
Here attrib. to Bushnell
terracotta
803 mm tall
National Portrait Gallery
Purchased 1986

Saturday, 16 September 2017

Design for A Mural Monument - attrib. Roubiliac



Design for A Mural Monument - 
attrib. to Louis Francois Roubiliac.

Perhaps an unrealized project for a monument to Anthony van Dyck.


The portrait here resembles the Rysbrack bust of van Dyck



Pen and wash drawing
No sizes given.
National Galleries of Scotland.



The Rysbrack bust of van Dyck
Hagley Hall.

http://bathartandarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/the-rysbrack-statuettes-of-rubens-van_16.html

___________________




Monument to van Dyck, St Paul's Cathedral, London

Bust of Francis Bacon as a Boy



Bust of Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626).
as a Boy of about Eight.
Polichrome Terracotta.
Gorhambury Park, St Albans, Herts.

The original currently in store.

Inscribed Property of Lord Verulam, St Albans


Images from the Folger Library.

For Bacon in later life see -

http://bathartandarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/bust-of-francis-bacon-in-wren-library.html


Image result for Francis bacon bust Gorhambury




Image result for Francis bacon bust Gorhambury

Busts David Garrick at the Garrick Club



The Busts David Garrick 
at the Garrick Club




Plaster
van Nost




Wedgwood

__________________________________






Life Mask of David Garrick

Supposedly taken by John van Nost III






David Garrick
Life Mask
Mezzotint
12" x 9"
Robert Edge Pine (1730 - 88)
4 April 1779

Folger Shakespeare Library

  • 1186



    Monday, 11 September 2017

    The Charles Clay Musical Clocks



    Charles Clay (d.1740).
    The Mechanical Musical Clocks.

    With Sculptural embellishments by Rysbrack and Roubiliac, Paintings by Amigoni and music by Handel.

    Amigoni (Amiconi) Venetian painter worked in London from 1730 - 1739

    Some notes and photographs.


    Originally from Stockton, Yorkshire Charles Clay trained as a machine watchmaker. 


    First noted when he petitioned parliament for a patent for a musical repeating watch or clock - unfortunately the Quaker Daniel Quare who had produced a similar mechanism at the same time opposed Clay's applicationand was supported by the Company of Clock Makers.

    Although there was prolonged litigation (at the considerable cost of £73 -17s - 11d) to the Company from February 1716 until the latter months of 1717, Quare was finally successful in and Clay's petition for a patent was refused.

    He was established in near St Mary le Strand  by at least 1720, where he remained until his death 20 years later. By 1723 he was appointed Clockmaker to His Majesty's Board of Works, a post he held for the remainder of his life. In 1731 he supplied the clock over the gateway at St James's Palace.

     The 'Temple of the Four Great Monarchies of the World' was put on display shortly after his death; the clock had been completed by John Pyke, a clock and watch maker of Bedford Row who had been apprenticed in 1710 and admitted to the Freedom of the Clockmakers' Company in 1720.


    A List of Mechanical Musical Clocks by Charles Clay

    1. Museum of the Royal Palace, Beijing, signed and dated 1730.  Organ still in place.
    2. Royal Palace, Naples. Signed twice 'Cha: Clay London' and Cha: Clay / Fecit 1730 '. Organ still in place 
    3. Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 'Being the first made in perfection N ° 1 Cha: Clay London Fecit'. dated 1735 - Organ still in place
    4. The 'Braamcamp' clock -  c. 1736 - 40 - Organ still in place.
    5. Castleton House, Celbridge, Ireland.
    6. Windsor Castle, Berkshire, GB. - Organ still in place.
    7. Board Room, Treasury Buildings, London.  
    8. Kensington Palace, Temple of the Four Great Monarchies, London, 1740, completed by John Pyke.  Plinth a modern replacement.




    Clay Musical Clock
    Signed and dated 1730.
    Low resolution photograph.
    Museum of the Royal Palace Beijing.

    _____________________________

    Clay Musical Clock
    Royal Palace, Naples.


















    Signed Cha: Clay London and Cha:Clay / Fecit 1730.


    It is believed English-born Prime Minister of the Neapolitan Kingdom, Sir John Acton
    (1736–1810), bequeathed the clock to Maria Carolina, Queen of Naples between 1779 and
    1798. 

    The dial plate features a near identical relief to the Beijing Apollo clock (see above).

    ________________________________

    Charles Clay Musical Clock
    Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
    7' 7" tall overall.

    A small weight driven pipe organ is housed inside and is operated by a tune barrel, which
    is engraved as follows, ‘Being the first/made in perfection/N: 1 Cha: Clay London Fecit.’

    The small dial is exactly the same as the Beijing and Naples Clocks (see above).

    Signed and Dated 1735
    Acquired from the collection of Lord Burnham at the sale of the contents of Hall Barn House, Buckinghamshire in September 1969.













    The original repertoire still remains engraved on the scroll, which is held by the gilt bronze
    winged figure that surmounts the case. The right arm of the figure was used to select
    the tune. The scroll reads: Sonata/Traveste /Aria/Gavotta/Traveste/Arieta/Arieta/
    Traveste/Praelude.5 Evidence suggests that the original music shown on the scroll was
    written by Handel.

    ________________________________________

    Charles Clay Musical Clock
    The Gerret Braamcamp Clock
    Gerret Braamcamp (1699 - 1771).

    c. 1736 - 40.
    Signed C. Clay on the dial. and Cha. Clay London on the Cylinder.

    Sold at the Robert de Balkany Sale to the Museum Speelklok






























    Photographs Courtesey Sotheby's Paris


    http://www.sothebys.com/fr/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.120.html/2016/robert-de-balkany-rue-de-varenne-paris-pf1660



    Gerrit Braamcamp Distiller, timber merchant, shipbuilder and art collector.


    Frontispiece to Le Temple des Arts ou Le Cabinet de M Braamcamp by M. de Bastide.
    Amsterdam 1766.
    Engraving Reinier Vinkeles after Jacob Xavery
    213 x 153 mm.

    for the remarkable collection of Gerrit Braamcamp see -
    https://archive.org/details/gri_33125008238384
    ________________________________________



    Clay Astronomical Clock in the Board Room Treasury Buildings, Whitehall, Westminster.

    The Board Room designed by William Kent 1735.




    Currently the best photograph I can locate!

    "This clock is "evidently the one referred to in an entry of 6th November, 1740, in the Treasury Minute Book: 'Mr. Lowther is to pay out of the King's money in his hands a sum not exceeding £160 for the great clock and all its furniture set up in the Lords' room here, to Mrs, Clay, widow of Mr. Clay who made the same…' A further entry of 4th May, 1742, records a petition from Mrs. Clay for an allowance for keeping in order the Treasury clock in their Lordships' room, which was made by her husband. The Secretaries to the Treasury were to agree with her as to a payment for this service, which they did at £4 per annum." (The Treasury, by Sir Thos. L. Heath, pp. 227–8.)"

    Extract and Photograph from British History Online, Survey of London 1931. Plate 23.

    see - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol14/pt3/pp23-36#h3-0003





    Treasury Building, 1814.


    __________________________________

    Musical Clock by Charles Clay.

    These pages below from Old Clocks and Watches and their Makers, FJ Britten, 1904 Second Edition.









    In an Article in The Musical Quarterly - Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct., 1919), pp. 538-552 by William Barclay Squire entitled  Handel's Clock Music Mr Squire relates how he contacted Percy Webster who assisted Britten with his work who informed him that it had been previously owned by Mr F.A. English of Addington Park, Surrey.





    https://archive.org/stream/oldclockswatches00brit#page/n7/mode/2up


    see also - https://www.jstor.org/stable/738126?seq=1&refreqid=excelsior%3A4a2c27228ae398e8893f5d534ee9ee1c#page_scan_tab_contents

    _________________________________

    Charles Clay Musical Clock.
    Castletown House, Celbridge, County Kildare, Ireland. 









    The Clock 98 tall cms x 81 cms wide.

    Provenance - 

    believed to have been taken to Castletown by and Katherine Conolly nee Conyngham d.1752, the wife of the Speaker of the Irish house of Commons William Connolly (1662 - 1729) 
    William Conolly was the richest man in Ireland

    Recorded in an inventory in the Grand Entrance and Inner Hall in 1893/4

    by descent to Major William Francis Conolly-Carew 
    Purchased by Desmond Guiness in 1966 
    Desmond Guiness had purchased the house in 1967 from a Major Wilson who had bought the house and its collection in 1965.
    Bought by the Castletown Foundation in 1975.
    The chimes not currently functioning


    Information from Castletown Decorative Arts pub 2011

    Office of Public Works Ireland
    Very kindly supplied by Celine of the Guides reception at Castletown 



    _______________________________



    The Temple of the Four Grand Monarchies of the World.
    1740

    A Charles Clay Musical Clock.

    Commenced by Charles Clay and completed by John Pyke.
     in the Rotunda at Kensington Palace.

    Acquired by Princess Augusta after 1743.


    https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search#/54/collection/1418/floor-standing-clock


    Excerpt below from Tessa Murdoch, Apollo, November 2013

    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Time's+melody.-a0351262546


    In November 1743, Clay's widow advertised 'a most magnificent and curious MUSICAL MACHINE, CALL'D The temple of the four Grand Monarchies of the World (viz. the Assyrian, the Persian, the Grecian and the Roman) founded by Ninus, Cyrus the Great, Alexander the Great and Augustus Caesar. The Musick was composed by Geminiani, Handel and Corelli: and properly adapted to the machine by Mr Geminiani. It performs not only in Concert, but alternatively on several Instruments, in a most surprising manner, exceeding the Performance of the best Hands. Note. The Inside Work may be seen by those who desire it.' 

     This clock was finished by John Pyke, clockmaker to Frederick, Prince of Wales, and its elaborate case included reliefs in silver, based on models by Rysbrack and bronzes representing the seated figures of the four Grand Monarchies modelled by the French London-based sculptor Louis Francois Roubiliac (1702-62). The clock was surmounted by Roubiliac's figures of Hercules and Atlas supporting the globe . 

    In December 1743 it was available to view at John Pyke's premises at the corner of Brownlow Street, facing Bedford Row near Gray's Inn. It apparently cost more than £4,500  

    The case was a 'noble Structure, a regular Piece of Architecture in the Corinthian Order ... made of fine Ebony, with Mouldings of Brass; its Columns and Entablatures are also of Brass adorn'd with Modilions, Capitals, Bases and other ornaments of Silver in the most elegant Taste. It is supported with a Pedestal of circular Form, made of Curious Wood, with Brass Mouldings, and adorn'd with other Ornaments of Brass, upon which it turns round at Pleasure for the greater Conveniency of the Spectators'.  

    This clock was also later acquired for Augusta, widow of Frederick, Prince of Wales. 


    The long delay between the completion of the clock and its acquisition for the Royal Collection explains Clay's frustration with the challenge of marketing his musical creations. 

    Three days before his death, he 'order'd a Musical Machine, which had cost him about 20 Years Time, and upwards of £2000 to bring to perfection, to be beat to Pieces, and entirely destroy'd to prevent the Expense of the Time and Money of any one who should attempt to finish it after his death'. 

    It seems unlikely that Mrs Clay carried out her husband's death-bed wishes. 








    Above Clipping from The Daily Advertiser, 14 January 1744































    Bronze mounts by Louis Francois Roubiliac

    All photographs above from the Royal Collection.

    The text below is lifted in its entirety from the Royal Collection website for which I can make no apologies. I coudn't do better. I have only created the paragraphs to make this information slightly more digestible.

    see - https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search#/54/collection/1418/floor-standing-clock


    A large square and elaborately decorated musical clock, the four dials painted with allegorical scenes - by Amigoni - and applied silver bas-reliefs - by Rysbrack - and a bronze group with Atlas - by Roubilliac - at the top and corners with applied double columns and four bronze sculptures representing four of the monarchies of the world at the base of the clock.
    The four faces represent the foundation of the four great empires of antiquity - Assyria, Persia, Greece and Rome.

    The creator of the clock, Charles Clay, came from Flockton in the West Riding of Yorkshire. First known when, in 1716, he petitioned the King for a Patent in respect of a repeating device for pocket watches. The application was ultimately unsuccessful following the opposition of the Clockmakers' Company - at a cost to the Company of the not inconsiderable sum of £74 17s. 11d. He arrived in London c. 1720 and set up in premises near St. Mary-le-Strand Church and by 1723 had been appointed Clockmaker to His Majesty's Board of Works in which capacity, in 1731, he made a clock for the gatehouse at St. James's Palace.

    The 'Temple of the Four Great Monarchies of the World' was put on display shortly after his death; the clock had been completed by John Pyke, a clock and watch maker of Bedford Row who had been apprenticed in 1710 and admitted to the Freedom of the Clockmakers' Company in 1720.
    A newspaper cutting of 31 December 1743 describes the clock 'A DESCRIPTION of a most magnificent and curious MUSICAL MACHINE, CALL'D The temple of the four Grand Monarchies of the World (viz. the Assyrian, the Persian, the Grecian, and the Roman) which were founded by Ninus, Cyrus the Great, Alexander the Great, and Augustus Caesar. Begun by the late ingenious MR CHARLES GRAY, and finish'd y Mr PYKE, Clock and Watchmaker, in Bedford-Row, London. The whole having cost upwards of 45000l. and is to be seen every day at the corner of Brownlow Street facing Bedford-Row, near Gray's inn, London, from ten 0'Clock in the Morning till Seven in the Evening..........
     'The Musick consists of an agreeable Variety of Pieces, composed by the three great Masters Geminiani, Handel and Corelli; and properly adapted to the machine by mr Geminiani. It performs not only in Concert, but alternatively on several Instruments, in a most surprising manner, exceeding the Performance of the best Hands.'

    The advetisement continues with a description of the four faces:
    'This Temple has four front avenues leading into it, through which you may see the Subjects relating to each Monarchy finely represented in Historical Painting. By Signor Amiconi.
    'At the entrance of each Avenue is represented in Sculpture the Genii of the Arts and Sciences as Paintings, Sculpture, Geometry, Musick, Architecture, Arithmetick, and Astronomy, all which Sciences have been used in the building and adorning this Fabrick. They are made of Silver in Alto Relievo, by Mr. Rysbrack and are reposing on a Piece of Architecture in Basso Relievo, made of Brass, in true Perspective; by the Obelisks on which stand eight Deities in Silver, in their respective Attitudes, as having some Allusion to the Subjects of each Piece of Painting. These represent some remarkable Passage in the Lives of the before mentioned famous Founders of these memorable Monarchies.
    'The first Piece of Painting represents Ninus setting up his Father's image and using it to be worshipped, making it an awful Asylum for all Sort of Malefactors and granting every Petition made to it, which proved the Beginning of Idolotary. The presiding Deities are Cybele and Saturn; Cybele represents the Earth and is call'd the Mother of all Gods; and Saturn, said to be the same with Noah, was the Ancestor of Nimrod, or Belus, who was the Father of Ninus.

     'The second Piece represents the Tragic Death of Cyrus, the Founder of the Persian Monarchy, by Thomyris, Queen of the Massigetes, a Nation of the Scythians, who having laid in Ambush for him and slain him, cut off his head and before her Attendance putting it into a Tub of Blood, said, Cyrus, now take thy fill of Blood, which thou has always thirsted afters. The Deities that preside here are Mars and Venus. Mars was particularly ador'd by the Scythians, who build him a Temple of Iron; and Venus was adored by the Persians under the Title of Venus Coelestis.

     'The third Piece is the Marriage of Alexander the Great, at Susa, with Statira, the Daughter of Darius. This Hero put an End of the Persian Monarchy, and established the Grecian. The Presiding Gods are Jupiter and Mercury; the former alludes to Alexander's pretending to descend from Jupiter Ammon, the other to the dexterous Genius of the Greeks, who excelled all other Nations at that Time in most kinds of Knowledge and Learning.


    ''The fourth Piece represents Augustus Ceasar giving Peace to Rome by the Deaths of Brutus and Cassius and the Overthrow of Mark Anthony, after which Augustus was peaceably acknowledge Emperor by the whole Roman People. Here are the images of Apollo and Diana; Apollo's Temple there being one of the riches and beautifullest of all Antiquity.' The original movement, including a musical mechanism, and stand missing. 



























    Scan of a drawing by Nathaniel Smith c. 1759.
    from an Excellent Article by the estimable David Wilson entitled 
    New Information from the society of Arts: Roubiliacs Model of Hercules and Atlas and Nathaniel Smith's model of St Andrew after Duquesnoy - in the Sculpture Journal volume 16.2 (2007).

    see - http://online.liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/doi/pdf/10.3828/sj.16.2.5
    ____________________


    Clipping from The Daily Advertiser 31 Dec 1743





    ____________________________





    Reference above to a Clay Clock in the Genral Advertiser 6 April 1744
    for Auction at Aaron Lambe's Great Auction Room in Pall Mall.


    Presumably it did not sell and was included in the next auction





    Clipping from the Daily Advertiser 25 April 1744
    ____________________________
    Panel from a Clock by Charles Clay.
    c. 1739 - 40

    Perhaps from a clock under construction in his workshop when he died.




    The Intriguing Gilt Bronze Panel Apollo with Time and Harmony acquired by the Victoria and Albert Museum in 2009.

    NB Similarities with the Birmingham, Beijing and Naples clock faces  (see above).

    ________________________________


    Another remarkable clock the mechanism devised by Charles Clay.


    Acquired by either Frederick, Prince of Wales, c. 1743-50, or by Augusta, Princess of Wales, 1759.




    The piece makes its focal point a rock-crystal casket by the Augsburg goldsmith Melchior Baumgartner (1621 - 86) whose inscription (in German) is found on a panel inside the lid ‘I Master Melchior Baumgartner have made this casket in Augsburg and covered it with silver in the year 1664’. 

    Also incorporated in the casket are forty panels of rock crystal, engraved with land- and sea-scapes – with the six principal panels of canted rectangular form and bevelled edges. The panels depict figures and houses in landscapes, while each side panel depicts a shipping scene, one during a calm, the other during a storm. The panels are divided by rock crystal columns with Corinthian capitals in silver-gilt. 

    Almost all remaining areas are decorated by exquisite applied enamelled and silver-gilt mounts of fruiting swags and floral trails. At each angle in a shell-headed niche is a gilt bronze figure of a Greek goddess. Below the casket is a stepped pedestal containing both a clock and organ, which plays ten melodies, all but two of which correspond to settings composed by Handel. 

    The early history of the Augsburg casket is unknown, although Baumgartner is known to have supplied similarly elaborate pieces to the Bavarian and Brunswick courts . 

    This clock is first noted in a London newspaper advertisement of 27 August 1743, in which Sarah Clay, widow of Charles Clay, announced the exhibition at Cecil Street, off the Strand, of ‘the most curious and valuable piece of clock work left by her late husband’ The Temple and Oracle of Apollo, and charging 1s per person to view. 

    The entire ensemble is described in splendid language as it appears today (less the group of St George & the Dragon and the eponymous Apollo figure, now lost). This announcement suggests that it was through the agency of the maker / entrepreneur Charles Clay (or his widow’s) that the casket, clock-work and organ were assembled into its present, spectacular form.

    This description above  adapted from the Royal Collection website

    https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search#/53/collection/30037/clock-organ-and-mahogany-case-c-1740

    ______________________________


    John Pyke (-1762) and his son George Pyke (d. 1777)
    Bedford Row, London
    Mechanical Musical Clock
    dated 1765
    Temple Newsam House. Leeds

    Barrell repinned in 1817.

    Arrived at Temple Newsam in 1954
    Provenance Kitson Clarke family Leeds.
    the Collection of the Duke of Buckingham Stowe
    believed to have been in the collection of Marie Antoinette.


    Pyke was apprenticed in 1710 and admitted to the Freedom of the Clockmakers’ Company in 1720 and died in 1762.

    For an excellent overview see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtfFfKeCSAU

    Restored and conserved at West Dean College in 2014. They provided meticulous commentary of the process on their website -

    See - https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/school-of-conservation/blog/clocks/pyke-organ-clock-project-an-eighteenth-century-moving-picture.


    https://westdeanconservation.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/conservation-of-the-pyke-clock-wooden-case/

    https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/school-of-conservation/blog/clocks/pyke-organ-clock-project-breathing-life-into-the-bellows

    https://secretlivesofobjects.blog/2014/02/02/pyke-pedestal-organ-clock-project/

















    An advertisement displaying the extent of his ability in Lloyd’s
    Evening Post 19–22 March 1779, is quoted here in full:
    To be SOLD by AUCTION,
    By Mr. RIDGEWAY,

    On the Premises, by Order of the Executriz, on Tuesday
    the 23rd Inst. at Eleven o’Clock,

    The STOCK of ORGANS, HARPSICHORDS, CLOCKS &c. the
    Property of Mr. GEORGE PYKE, deceased.
    (Late Organ-Builder to his Majesty, and esteemed the first
    Mechanic in that Branch of any in the Kingdom). At his
    late House, the upper End of Bedford-row, Holborn.
    Compromising a large Finger Organ, with a Swell;
    a ditto with Finger Keys, which plays the Barrels by Hand;
    Machine and Hand Organs, upright and other
    Harpsichords, an Organ clock, and several others
    &c &c.

    To be Viewed two Days preceding the Sale, when
    Catalogues may be had on the Premises; and at Mr.
    Ridgeway’s, Fenchurch-street. 

    Note, the Business will be carried on by Mrs.
    Pyke, widow of the deceased, and Mr. Holland his
    late Apprentice and Nephew, who return their grateful,
    Thanks to the Nobility and Gentry for their past Favours,
    and solicit the Continuance of them, to merit which the


    utmost Attention will be given.




    Bibleography


    1 William, Barclay Squire, Handel’s Clock Music. Musical Quarterly, 1919, pp. 528–42.
    2 Webb, M. I. (1954), Michael Rysbrack, Sculptor, Country Life: Limited, London, pp. 137–38.
    3 Roberts, Hugh, ‘So Beautiful a Style’, Country Life, 23 November 1995, pp. 58–59.
    4 Murray, E. Croft, ‘The Ingenious Mr Clay’, Country Life, 31 December 1948, pp. 1378–80.
    5 Croft, E. Murray, ‘Musical Clocks by Charles Clay’, Country Life, 21 April 1950, pp. 1112–13.
    6 ‘Treasures from the Forbidden City’, Speelklok Museum, Utrecht, 2010, Catalogue No. 1, pp. 82–89.
    7 Dawe, Donovan, ‘The Mysterious Pyke, Organ Builder’, Musical Times, January 1974, pp. 68–70.

    ________________________________



    Another remarkable Astronomical Clock by Charles Clay

    Victoria and Albert Museum

    In 1736, a bill from the Huguenot jeweler Peter Dutens to Frederick, Prince of Wales for an eight day clock which shows the signs of the zodiac and the rising of the sun, reveals the close connections between the jewellers' and clockmakers' trades. The clock dial plate was drawn in London by Clay and was enamelled white and blue with the days and months and signs of the zodiac. The clock mechanism was imported from Paris, and Dutens supplied 'a Gold Sun chased' and the 'side Frizes to the Case & Glass'


    Offices of the Duchy of Cornwall: The Accounts of Frederick, Prince of Wales, Vol. VI


























    All photographs above courtesy Victoria and Albert Museum


    _______________________________


    Pinchbeck's Musical Clock

    Clipping from The Daily Post, Classified Ads  I April 1729.






    ____________________________________


    Pinchbeck Daily Journal. 16 April 1729.




    _________________________

    The movement of another mechanical musical clock called the Micocosm by Henry Bridges survives - without the organ or case.
    Discovered in a replacement case in Paris in 1920 and purchased by the BM in 1958.

    Microcosm, or the world in miniature; movement re-discovered in Paris in 1920; original case containing the moving picture scene and the organ had not survived; two silvered-metal astronomical dials, upper with twenty-four hour ring, centre seconds, based on the Ptolemaic system; lower with Copernican system with four subsidiary dials showing calendar, age of moon, dominical letter and golden numbers, with 'ting-tang' quarter-strike and compensated pendulum; arched dial with repoussé foliage spandrel; enclosed in mahogany case with plain panels and moulded bridges; domed hood surmounted by five metal-gilt spherical and obelisk finials; enclosed in massive mahogany case of later date.  TRAIN-COUNTS.   Upper section of movement carries hour and quarter trains:- Hours. Gt wheel 80 2nd wheel 80/10 3rd wheel 64/8 4th wheel 56/8 Fly 8  Quarters. Gt wheel 80 2nd wheel 84/8 3rd wheel 64/7 4th wheel 56/8 Fly 8

    see - http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=55451&partId=1&object=23717&page=1

    For a useful timeline for Bridges' Microcosm see - https://texthistory.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/mr-henry-bridges-microcosm/


    Above A reconstruction of the Bridges' Microcosm
    Perhaps rather fanciful - There is a contemporary engraving listed by the British Museum.
    not currently available online.

    A Succinct DESCRIPTION OF THAT Elaborate PILE OF ART, called the MICROCOSM"
    This work pub 1767 is available at the Wellcome Library.

    A Succinct DESCRIPTION OF THAT Elaborate PILE OF ART, called the MICROCOSM With a Short Account of the SOLAR SYSTEM, third edition with additions, Coventry, MDCCLXIII".
    The clock consisted of a large edifice in the form of a Roman temple, ten feet high and six feet wide (305 x 183 cm). A number of levels displayed representations of the nine Muses on Parnassus, Orpheus charming the wild beasts in the forest, a grove with birds flying and singing, a clock with both the Ptolemaic and Copernican celestial systems and a landscape with a prospect of the Ocean and ships sailing. The foreground was animated with coaches, carts, chaises, people, birds and dogs. Finally, there was a busy carpenter's yard. An organ, harpsichord, spinet, flute and whistle with thoroughbass accompaniment played eight melodies:
    "At length all the various Parts of this Machine are at once presented to the Spectator's View in Motion, when upwards of one thousand two Hundred Wheels and Pinions move all together; And during the whole Performance, it plays several fine Pieces of Music on the Organ, in a very elegant Manner; and the Organ is likewise provided with a Set of Keys, so that Ladies or Gentlemen may, themselves perform on the Organ what Pieces of Music they best like."

    I am taking the liberty of posting pages relevant to Pinchbeck, Bridges etc from The Shows of London by Richard D Altick pub. 1978, rather than transcribe it - an excellent work which should be purchased by anyone with an interest in entertainment in London in the 18th century.






    ___________________________

    The Temple of Arts and Sciences




    Clipping Daily Advertiser 26 April 1744