Thursday 13 October 2016

Bust of Lord Chesterfield by Joseph Wilton

 
 
The Marble Bust of Philip Dormer Stanhope
Lord Chesterfield
by Joseph Wilton (1722 - 1803)
1757
British Museum.
signed J Wilton ad vivum 1757
bust 67 cms.
 
 
Provenance: Probably commissioned by the sitter, 1757;
given to Sir Thomas Robinson Bt (?1700-77) by Chesterfield; bequeathed to the British Museum by Robinson, 1777.
Robinson's will dated 26 September 1777 reads:
'my fine Bust of the late Lord Chesterfield made by Wilton my Picture of his Lordship drawn by Ramsay and my Medal of that Nobleman the whole of which were given to me by his Lordship and which I give to the British Museum as a Testimony of my Regard for the Memory of an illustrious person with whom I have lived in intimacy for more than half a century.'
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
All photographs from the British Museum Website
 

No comments:

Post a Comment